Let's get back to this one :-)

Erik Hofman wrote:
Boris Koenig wrote:

I wouldn't have a problem, creating the authoring part of the
application as an external application - but THEN I would need
to be able to load FlightGear resources (aircraft/images/panels).

Ok. Lets start a *minimal* list of items that really are needed for this and skip the implementation part for now. This is what I think what would be needed (feel free to add your ideas).
Anything else (remember, this is the *absolute minimum*)?

Besides the things that I mentioned already in the original "short" ;-) reply to your message, I think the two most important things would currently be:

        -       basic functionality to deal with XML files (using Nasal)

        -       dynamic creation & population/modification of
                controls/dialogs using Nasal

Also, some more customization of the current PUI XML-bindings might be
necessary, in order to be able to tailor dialogs/controls (i.e.
 transparency/movable flag) - Andy mentioned something like this already
- if you take a look at the  screenshot on the FliteTutor concept
webpage, you'll notice for example, that the combo box in the upper left
corner opens upwards, while it should -in this case- actually open
downwards (otherwise the menu contents aren't visible anymore).

Using PUI directly it's afaIk possible to specify such details -
hence it shouldn't be too complicated to add a corresponding option
to the XML<->PUI layer.

I would be willing to make the necessary modifications myself, also to
add things like basic font formatting - would these changes then be
accepted for the official CVS version ?

You know, that's the actual problem I was having, also regarding the
whole plugin stuff that I mentioned: making such modifications directly
to FlightGear sources would always require these things to be accepted
for FlightGear itself, while having a separate library taking care of
this stuff wouldn't require any direct access to FlightGear in most
cases, hence one wouldn't rely on a particular FlightGear release/build
to be able to use a new function, which is actually not even part of
FlightGear itself...

Regarding the standard FlightGear menubar, I think it might be useful
to optionally make it auto-hide/show - that way it would only be
displayed if the mouse is in the corresponding area, and fade out as
soon as the mouse leaves that area.

In the end, I don't mean to blow up Nasal, but rather use some scripts
as backend library to load & display a set of pages - but of course
this would still require some additions to the current command set.

But I don't think this would be too dramatic, on the other hand adding
a couple of new functions/bindings might also create new possibilites,
one might even start to create things like a FMC based on Nasal.

Hope this mail was short enough ;-)

---------
Boris