Richard Harke wrote:
On Saturday 17 July 2004 07:08 am, Innis Cunningham wrote:

I had a GeForce 2 Titanium with a PIII Xeon at 550MHz getting about 15 fps
over SF Video card crapped out (even has a red LED come on to tell you
it has crapped out) so I bought a Geforce FX 5200 Frame rate dropped to 4
in same circumstances. Occasionally up to 6. I already had plans to upgrade
so I didn't panic New system is P4 at 3.0 GHz with 1MB cache AGP runs
at 8x So now my frame rate is back to 15, though it does jump into the
high 20's sometimes. Same copy of the executable in all cases. (CVS from
mid Feb) This is rather disappointing, to be honest.

I think there IS a point to it, because I've made very similar and *weird* observations, running on a pretty decent system with a nvidia card, you would get about 15-20 (the latter rarely) FPS, while taking the same CVS stuff to an OLD system (< 1 GHZ, 1 GIG RAM, ATI RAGE128) gives usually even more than these 20 FPS, as I am currently trying to summarize which subsystems I need and which of these can be "disabled" I have also made the following attempt:

        -       disabling pretty much all rendering stuff
        -       => now having an empty FG window
        -       show the framerate THEN

On my (decent) main system I keep getting not more than 30 FPS,
while I do get around 50+ FPS with my old ATI RAGE 128 in such
a mode on the other system.

So, yes - I do think there are indeed some performance issues related
to the openGL stuff. And I agree it's pretty disappointing to see
the game @ 15 FPS on a system which usually provides up tp 80+ FPS in
other games/openGL stuff. And I really don't think that FlightGear is
making THAT much use of the GPU ?!

Either it's really about some specific GPU options not being enabled
or made full use of or there are some other _real_ problems ?

Hence, it might really be a good idea to temporarily offer disabling of
more advanced rendering features or even texture-rendering in general,
personally I wouldn't care that much - and I agree with Erik, that most
of the texture stuff gets pointless when you are IMC.

---------
Boris