Well, as you have pointed out, there is the issue of ease-of-maintenance.
Having part of the fuselage in texture A, part of it in texture B, and the
rest of it in texture C won't make the life of the textuer any easier.  For
me, there is also the issue of ease-of-creation: arranging components into a
perfect square then apply UV map is called unwrapping.  In my opinion, it is
one of the most demanding jobs as well as one of the most boring job there is
involving modelling.  The only time that I have done unwrapping was when I
was applying UV map to the wings and the vertical tail plane.  At that time,
I was more concern with fitting everything as tightly together as possible
than fitting everything into a perfect square.  That is why many textures
came out to be rectangular.

If one is really concern about performance, he/she can always resize the
textures to perfect squares themselves.  But if you ask me, I doubt doing
that will make much of a difference.

Regards,
Ampere