Regards,

Vivian

No - Packard Merlins had electric start.

> ..how many blades (or prop or crankshaft turns) per cartridge?
> Common cartridge-only rpm and decay turns and time to stop
> (on failed starts)?

Hmmm. Best I can do with the current simulator. Try it and see :-)

> ..on successful starts, how many blades 'till the 1'st one fires",
> then how many misses until smooth running idle?

See above. How long is a piece of string? Depends on many factors, but I
think you'll find that it sounds about right.

> ..it commonly starts on first, 2'nd or 3'rd etc fired?

Reputedly on 1st, provided primer pump used, which I haven't implemented
yet.

> ..can 1, 2, or 3 etc Coffmans start a flooded engine?  (Assuming
> no cround crew assistance but corrective action by the pilot.)

No info in Pilot's notes. No flooded engine procedure given, so I assume
that it was either a very rare occurrence, or so common that everyone knew
how to do it, so it wasn't worth explaining. Come to think about it, I'm not
sure how easy it would be for ground crew to turn over a 27 litre engine
(impossible?).

> ..approximates, obviously, ideally, someone has talked with
> WWII tech or pilot veterans with relevant Merlin experience.

Near enough for government work :-)

> ..btw, did anyone fix the boost b button bug?  (2-speed
> supercharger clutch barometer triggered at 18,000 ft or
> somesuch on RR in Spit mkix and Packards in P-51B
> onwards etc)

No, but I think we understand the problem. But there again, we haven't got
the propeller gearing fixed yet. And we haven't done the boost cut-out
control. The boost isn't right using legacy code either.

Regards,

Vivian