Richard Bytheway said:

> [...]
think of it as the wing is pushing air down, which causes an "equal and
opposite force" (to quote Newton) of the air pushing the wing up. Hence
acrobatic aircraft with symmettrical wings can still fly. The key to wing
shape design is to keep the air flow attached to both the upper and lower
surface so that you can change the direction of airflow. Once the flow
detaches (a stall), you are not pushing the air down any more, so it isn't
pushing you up.

This suggests that both bernoulli and the pushing (gravity) are at play,
depending on the airfoil.  My (uneducated) guess is the pushing is almost all
of it and that the bernoulli effect only augments:
http://observe.arc.nasa.gov/nasa/exhibits/planes/planes_1c.html

Best,

Jim