Erik Hofman said:

> Jon Berndt wrote:
>
> > One more thing: think of a baseball or better yet a lightweight ball. How
do those things
> > curve?
>
> I wouldn't know. I haven't thought about that one yet. My first
> impression would be that of the cohesive and adhesive forces again.

Well "Jim's make it up as you go along Physics manual" says that there is
greater pressure against the air molecules in front of the moving ball.  Thus
there is greater friction against those molecules than the air molecules to
the side or behind.  If the ball has a sidespin, then the slightly better
traction (friction) on the front side will cause the ball to move in the
direction opposite that of the forward surface of the spinning ball (as a
result of something Newton said).  Adding this "sideways" movement to the
ball's trajectory produces a curve.  The ball's momentum (speed), air density,
size of the ball (amount trailing air turbulance), alignment of the planets,
proximity to Fenway park, political persuasion, and the rate of spin will
affect outcome.

For a demonstration (or proof that I am wrong) see:
http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/airplane/foil2b.html

Disclaimer: Use this information at your own risk.  I will not be responsible
for any broken noses, windows, or egos that result from the application of
this theory.

Best,

Jim