Chris Metzler wrote:
I've been waiting to post this until after the release went out, hoping
there'd be more discussion when things were a tiny bit calmer . . .

Over time, various people have done a lot of work on ground structures,
etc., to add to the scenery for FlightGear.  Frederic's did a lot of work
on the bridges + downtown for SF; that's now distributed with the default
area scenery.  Franz Melchior did Vienna's Donaturm tower, complete with

Actually it's Melchior Franz.

ot agree with):

1. It's probably *not* the best idea for it to all just get added into the FlightGear scenery archives, to be there automatically when the terrain for an area gets downloaded from scenery.flightgear.org or its mirrors. There are already people having a hard time with framerates just with the structure in the default area. I imagine a scenario where a user fetches updated scenery files for an area they've been flying around for a while, and discovers suddenly that it's unusable now for them because of a recent addition of a bunch of framerate- crushing eye candy.

I think that (now that we have a separate Objects directory) it is possible quite easily to add a command-line option to disable the static scenery objects.

So what we discussed was a webpage/site which would (eventually) do for
FlightGear what avsim.com/flightsim.com's file libraries do for MSFS.
At least at first, it'd provide upload/browse/download capability.
Eventually, it could also be a place to fetch useful scripts, programs,
scenery-making tutorials, etc.  It wouldn't necessarily require a chunk
of Curt's time or hardware; it need not even be in the flightgear.org
domain, although I think it'd be a good thing if it was (unfortunately,
scenery.flightgear.org is occupied, hehe).  Mat Churchill and I are
both enthusiastic about such a scenery website.

My personal opinion would be to get everything at one place, preferably (but not necessarily) in a separate CVS branch at flightgear.org just like the world wide scenery right now. That would be easiest for everybody (and provides mirror sites).

Erik