On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 10:17:48 +0200
Erik Hofman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Chris Metzler wrote:
>> I've been waiting to post this until after the release went out,
>> hoping there'd be more discussion when things were a tiny bit calmer .
>> . .
>>
>> Over time, various people have done a lot of work on ground
>> structures, etc., to add to the scenery for FlightGear.  Frederic's
>> did a lot of work on the bridges + downtown for SF; that's now
>> distributed with the default area scenery.  Franz Melchior did
>> Vienna's Donaturm tower, complete with
>
> Actually it's Melchior Franz.

Dangit.  I assumed the reverse order because I know someone with Franz
as a first name, and someone else with the (similar) last name of
Melchiori.  Sorry to Melchior if reading.

>> 1.  It's probably *not* the best idea for it to all just get added
>> into the FlightGear scenery archives, to be there automatically when
>> the terrain for an area gets downloaded from scenery.flightgear.org or
>> its mirrors.  There are already people having a hard time with
>> framerates just with the structure in the default area.  I imagine a
>> scenario where a user fetches updated scenery files for an area
>> they've been flying around for a while, and discovers suddenly that
>> it's unusable now for them because of a recent addition of a bunch of
>> framerate- crushing eye candy.
>
> I think that (now that we have a separate Objects directory) it is
> possible quite easily to add a command-line option to disable the static
> scenery objects.

Fair enough.  But with ground structures that are installable separately,
it's possible for a user to pick and choose what to install.  For example,
someone could wish to see a set of landmarks in Paris, but not the
buildings at Orly (wanting smoother framerates during landing/takeoff,
but not caring so much when flying over the center of the city), or
something like that.  So while I really like having the separate Objects
directory, and agree that being able to toggle on/off the static scenery
objects would be a good thing, I think being able to pick and choose what
(non-random) static structures to install is *also* a good thing.

>> So what we discussed was a webpage/site which would (eventually) do
>> for FlightGear what avsim.com/flightsim.com's file libraries do for
>> MSFS. At least at first, it'd provide upload/browse/download
>> capability. Eventually, it could also be a place to fetch useful
>> scripts, programs, scenery-making tutorials, etc.  It wouldn't
>> necessarily require a chunk of Curt's time or hardware; it need not
>> even be in the flightgear.org domain, although I think it'd be a good
>> thing if it was (unfortunately, scenery.flightgear.org is occupied,
>> hehe).  Mat Churchill and I are both enthusiastic about such a scenery
>> website.
>
> My personal opinion would be to get everything at one place, preferably
> (but not necessarily) in a separate CVS branch at flightgear.org just
> like the world wide scenery right now. That would be easiest for
> everybody (and provides mirror sites).

Well, having user-developed scenery in a CVS repository would be nice
in that it'd make available all of the CVS infrastructure; no need to
create or port a bunch of applications to maintain it all.  And it would
be easy to integrate with everything else, and add to mirrors, and so
on.  But from the users' perspective, it may not be ideal in that it's
not very *browseable* -- to look through what's available in a nice
friendly form, with images and so on, and pick out what you like and
dload it.  Browsing a CVS repository is possible, of course; but kinda
ugly and more oriented towards developers than users.  I don't know much
about user-friendly CVS clients, especially for Windows.  The other thing
is that I think it'd be good to avoid putting any more work upon the
existing developers (e.g. not asking Curt to take on more website work).
If the CVS archive ran on outside machines, and was linked to off the
website on baron.flightgear.org, that might work OK, I dunno.

-c

                (remove "snip-me." to email)