Chris Metzler wrote:
[...] So what we discussed was a webpage/site which would (eventually) do for
FlightGear what avsim.com/flightsim.com's file libraries do for MSFS.
At least at first, it'd provide upload/browse/download capability.

Even though I agree with Erik that it would make sense to keep everything in a central place I do also think that it should be easily possible for the mentioned user contributions to be added easily BY users - without the need for developers/project managers to take care of such things.

So, I think the idea in general is pretty good, but regarding browser
based file uploads  there might be a problem when it comes to scenery
packages: these files are usually pretty large, so it would be more
realistic to provide anonymous FTP access for these uploads - also more
convenient, I wouldn't want to wait for a large file to upload via
browser without any status information at all...

Eventually, it could also be a place to fetch useful scripts, programs,
scenery-making tutorials, etc.

As long as it would be running via some kind of CMS this would really be an advantage, as it could become a central repository for designers in general - be it scenery or aircraft. So that everybody could easily make direct contributions.

Also, such a webpage could offer scenery download based not only
on certain clickable areas but really based on certain towns/airports
or even navaids.

This would merely be a cross lookup between the navaids file and
the actual scenery folders in order to determine which scenery
package needs to be picked for a certain town/airport or navaid.

One could even provide a flight plan in order to determine the
necessary scenery downloads, I am not sure if TerraGear is using
such an approach already, as I keep having problems with it ...

It wouldn't necessarily require a chunk of Curt's time or hardware;

No, as it sounds it would have the legitimation to become a separate webpage if necessary, probably one could even use a sourceforge project for that purpose...that way at least the resource problem would be "solved" ;-)

it need not even be in the flightgear.org domain, although I think
> it'd be a good thing if it was (unfortunately, scenery.flightgear.org
> is occupied, hehe).
Mat Churchill and I are both enthusiastic about such a scenery website.

actually, it's not long ago that I sent an eMail to Curtis asking for other additions to the original FlightGear page that I suggested.

I mentioned both of these already in previous postings on this
mailing list, unfortunately there were not any reactions to these
- absolutely contrary to the reactions to my usual posting ;-)

On the one hand I suggested installing a bugtracker script and on the
other hand a dynamic FAQ system.

I did offer to take care of the installation/setup etc. - so it would
not require much effort from other people in order to get these
things done.

So if Curtis should decide that he doesn't want to put something like that on FlightGear.org I would love to join your efforts so that we could put all these things on a different webpage, which should still be linked to from FlightGear.org - Curtis could set up a specific subdomain for exactly that purpose, so he would still keep his recource usage low(er).

--------- Boris