Manuel Bessler wrote:
On Fri, Aug 06, 2004 at 09:27:02PM +0200, Boris Koenig wrote:
Use an older PC to drive the LCD with a CDU/FMC software running on it
(or remotely if using X11)

is the latter really an already established mechanism, I was really under the impression for it to be a spontaneous idea :-)

No it wasn't an instantaneous idea.

yes, it was (at least on my side) - don't forget, that it was me who initially brought that idea up in this thread, regardless of the obvious fact that you've already realized the whole thing :-)

But I am really amazed, that it's already implemented exactly
that way :-)

I have a prototype CDU "panel" (made from paper, overhead transparencies
and transparent contact paper). http://cockpit.varxec.net/panels/img/cdu_panel1.jpg

in what graphics format did you design that panel ?

I think Harald might be able to use a good template as
a basis for a first skin.

So, if you got that panel in some common graphics format available-
preferably most of it as a vector image, one could easily use
such an image as a template for a skin based CDU and would already
have a usable basis for the rest of it.

So, one of the first steps would be to load such a vector
image, display it in a window and assign functions to
clickable regions.

Then another part of the whole panel would need to be defined as
a screen region that can be updated.

Check out X11GC, a x11-based glass cockpit software I'm working on. Thats whats gonna drive my CDU. But for the logic behind it, the FMC, it'd be nice to have a standalone program... :)

yes, I see - looks indeed quite promising !

do you have any materials about FMCs/CDUs ?
I sent already an eMail to Harald offering to
exchange the stuff that I've got here.

So, maybe you've also got anything that Harald might
find useful ?

the X11GC page:
  http://cockpit.varxec.net/software/x11gc.html

so, then you are feeding FlightGear data to an application that then uses a xserver and then connect that to a client ?

Well, Nasal doesn't fit too well in my "standalone" concept. I already
have a scripting language integrated into my X11GC/PHCC* programs (They
share some classes, and can be built into one binary).
I use LUA, an embedded scripting language.
  http://www.lua.org/
Easy to learn and easy to integrate into your own programs :-)

yes, I know lua - and have used it for some smaller things myself, and actually I am again looking into it ...but on the other hand FlightGear has already Nasal and speaking of my personal ideas, it would be really a bit pointless to use lua instead of Nasal simply because Nasal is not supposed to "become everbody's swiss army knife".

On the other hand, a Nasal based implementation of the logics could
still work - either using the Nasal library itself or simply using
the network for data exchange.

-------- Boris