Yeah I noticed that too - it makes for some hard reading.
Does this become a bandwidth issue on the mailing list server by any chance?

I've got a couple of basic rules that I try stick to.
Maybe they will help others a bit.

1.  Try to only quote what the last guy said - remove all the 2nd hand and
older quotes
2. Strip all the quoting out that you are not replying to and just leave the
basic sentence or paragraph you are responding to.
3. Remove all personal and mailing list signatures

Paul