Jon Berndt wrote:

No, the FDM doesn't care about anything but commanded flap position - which will be taken
to actual position through the FCS, but with JSBSim actuator dynamics are not required to
be modeled. Commanded and actual positions are in degrees. As I said before, does 30
degrees flaps (when the maximum travel is 60) corespond to an actuator extension of 0.5?
Probably not. Does it matter for animation purposes? Probably not, I guess.

Jon,

The question I have is when the pilot selects "30 degrees flap" in the cockpit, for an aircraft with a complex multi-part flap mechansim ... are they really getting 30 degrees? Where is this measured, relative to what? How does this relate to how much the pieces extend as they rotate?

For many aircraft, "flap degrees" is an abstraction already, and doesn't really correspond directly or linearly to actual measurable degrees.

The FDM may choose to carry along with that abstraction (which makes sense) because you are concerned with getting the right performance when the lever is in the 30 degree position. It all works out in the end, but saying the flaps are at 30 degrees is an extreme over simplification.

I do think you are trying to make some valid points here in this thread, but I don't think that using flaps as an example advances your argument.

Regards,

Unique text: 2f585eeea02e2c79d7b1d8c4963bae2d