On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 20:27:10 -0000
"Jim Wilson" wrote:

> The problem is we're doing way to much before even getting that far.  It looks
> like 90% of the delay is loading the Airport database.

The problem is that loading the airport database take *much* (>10 times) longer
on Windows than Linux.  That means that a lot of the core developers don't
really notice this as much.

>We should be able to
> just load the configuration and parameters and do the rest of the work that's
> being done in fgInitMain after we get the loop going.  Everytime I look at
> this init code I've got to relearn how it works.  It is still a mess.

Agreed.  I had a look at some of it recently with a view to automatically
starting on the into the wind runway with real-weather.  At the moment it can't
be done, since real-weather is dependent on position, and I'm trying to
introduce the counter-dependency as well.  What I think needs to happen is to
init approx location first, then init the environment, then init exact location.

Cheers - Dave