* Ima Sudonim -- Friday 20 May 2005 17:49:
> The new signs program, it's great!

If it weren't that unhumble, I would agree. I enjoy it a lot.   :-)
I've meanwhile made a (simple) webpage for it, so that I don't have
to announce here on the list every time I make some changes:

  http://members.aon.at/mfranz/flightgear/signs.html

If you are going to use the new versions, it's a good idea to uninstall
the old once. Not only did I change the path (signs/ instead of sign/)
and the package names, but also the format: formerly I used ft (eeww),
because that was what the airport data was in. Now I'm using meters.
(Easy to convert in case someone has already started to make his own
topographic database.) Also, I'm about to finish Germany. (Ready
tomorrow.) I fixed some bugs in the Austrian database ("Salzburg" placed
correctly), added a few villages ("Fucking"[1] in Upper Austria -- how
could they miss it?!?, "Strasswalchen", etc.), and other objects (Castle
"Hochosterwitz", some (non-classified) military facilities).

> However, I'm noticing a problem on a mac os x system that I
> reinstalled recently.
>
> I downloaded new scripts this morning,

Oh. OK, then forget the above. This is the most recent version already.
(Slightly increased performance. Yay!)

> when I install them in data
> and run signs (either from data/local/signs or from a copy of signs
> copied to bin,

That's OK. The program doesnt' care from where it was started.

> I get a series of error messages like this:
>
> creating: cache/A/KJFK_John_F_Kennedy_Intl.rgb
> sh: line 1: convert: command not found
>
> I had this working before the reinstall of my system. My question is:
>
>   is the convert command new? (if so, do you know where I can get
> source (or binary version for mac os x (10.4)))?

No. That's part of the ImageMagick package, which can meanwhile be seen
as a standard. Just install that (again), and make sure it's in the $PATH.

> BTW, the signs are VERY cool, and it's especially nice that they're
> so extensible easily. I did notice that when I scroll thru fgfs to
> get to the top down view that I only see red lines appearing (i.e.,
> the tops of the signs)  instead of the signs as the signs are still
> vertical.

Red lines? On the red signs only, right? Otherwise that's a graphics
card driver bug ...

> Can the script be changed to display signs horizontal when
> this top-down view is used (Hit 'v' six times to get to this view)?

... but yes, the signs do only billboard around the vertical axis. I tried
it otherwise (change "spherical to true in all sign[0-9]*.xml files if you
want to try yourself), but this looked ugly. Yes, the signs were then visible
from above. But they followed view banking, which looked ridiculous. That's
a "feature" in the animation code or plib, and the script can't do anything
about it (AFAIK). I'd rather raise the signs some more.

> Thanks for giving us all a very cool feature!
> ... and thanks for all your work on FlightGear!

You are welcome.  :-)

m.

[1] sorry for the "adult" content, but I didn't christian that village  ;-)