Would it be possible to have a compiled form stroed on disk, which is
automatically regenerated on startup of FGFS based on rules similar to make. If
the ASCII version is newer than the compiled version, rebuild the compiled
version.
This could be transparent to the user (they simply edit the ASCII version), it
simply causes the startup time to be longer the next time around, but if no
changes are made then there is no time penalty.

Richard