Arnt Karlsen wrote:

> ..pass, what I learned from my own research on gpu's before buying an
> ATI 9250 clone, is ATI are "native 24bpp" and "24bpp only", where Nvidia
> is "1x32bpp or 2x16bpp", suggesting "ATI would suck at 16bpp doing less
> than 3x8bpp" and "at 32bpp not being able to see or make any use of
> the top 8 bits."
> My understanding of Nvidea is "their cards should work better at 32bpp
> and 16bpp than at 24bpp, because 24bpp wastes half a 16bpp engine."
>

>From what I understand, 24bpp is the same amount of data as 32bpp. It
just signifies that there is a separate alpha channel. Since this is not
strictly 'color' the last 8 alpha bits are not counted in the color
depth. Still, each pixel takes up 32 bits of memory. ATI cards do 16bpp
just the same as all the other cards, 16 bits of color and nothing else.
(red and blue get 5bpp, green I think is the one that gets 6bpp)

Josh