> However, those data did not make it to the current scenery release as
> TerraGear choked, obviously due to the massive density of data. I'm
> going to further investigate this - maybe with a little help from the
> experts on this list - and I hope that we can at some point release at
> least some compromise version between "nearly no linedata" and "<<1 FPS"
> ;-) The current selection of the data subset kept is arbitrary and not
> necessarily sensible.

Try watching your virtual memory usage and see whether you're hitting
the 2GB (or 3GB) limit within that process.  If you are, it is worth
patching TerraGear until it runs cleanly on all 64 bit architectures.
If it isn't a memory problem, we can stick with the 32 bit for now.

If memory _is_ the limiting factor, it is easy enough to take all the
RAM of other computers on the network and make it available as swap
space on the 64 bit machine that is actually building big scenery.
Swapping over network to memory is a lot faster than to hard drive.