Hey gang,

I'm starting to prepare to integrate Flight Gear as a surrogate for a real
UAV as part of a UAV control system that I'm developing. We've looked at
several other simulators, but FG seems to be the best one for the job at
hand.

I do have several questions though about the autopilot system that I was
hoping somebody could answer. Specifically, it seems (through my
experimentation on 0.9.8) that some aircraft have more robust APs than
others. For instance, the F-16 model shows on the display the next WP.
Others don't show anything. Some seem to handle the WP following system,
others don't.

What we're specifically looking for is (at a minimum) a single engine
(preferably prop, or better yet Helo in lieu of a real UAV model which
nobody seems to have built yet for FG) aircraft model that can do a
combination of altitude + speed holds, as well as auto fly from current
location to a specific lat/long waypoint. There has been some discussion in
my group as to the possible need to have a full flightplan (series of
waypoints) that we could send to the sim to fly in order, but we don't think
we need that at the current time. Instead we're probably going to do a "fly
to here, monitor the aircraft position, when we get there tell it to now fly
to there, repeat..." type control.

We're doing our interfacing with FG through the Java telnet interface, so
I'll need to know what parameters I need to modify to do each of those
autopilot things.

Any help is appreciated!

--Mike

Mike Kopack