>combination of altitude + speed holds, as well as auto fly from current
>location to a specific lat/long waypoint. There has been some discussion in

The a/p each aircraft offers is selected by adding an a/p model
configuration file to the SYSTEM section in the configuration for the
aircraft. The a/p interface you see on the panel is a model of the a/p
face. The interface model and the a/p system model must be coordinated
so they work together (for example, if the a/p system does not support
a controller for ALT hold, a button on the face will do nothing and if
the face as no ALT hold button, but the a/p model does support ALT
hold, then you have no way of communicating that to the system).

The autopilot dialog you see from the main toolbar appears to set
standard autopilot properties in the property hierarchy, but some if
not all a/p use their own properties, and thus can only be adjusted or
set from the face, not from this dialog. Only a/p that use the
standard properties can be set from here. At least this is my
understanding.

One of the bundled F16s appears to support the a/p set through the a/p
dialog window. I am having some problem with FG today, can't get
anything to straighten up and fly right, so I need to reboot and see
what is the matter.

As far as I know, there is no GPS interface other than the dialog
window.

I think the KAP140 can do altitude and v/s speed holds. I had trouble
reading the instruments and using the dials to set those, so I can't
comment in depth. The a/p model could be adapted to fly GPS waypoints.

I am working on a model of the Digitrak a/p, which can fly GPS track
and accept a flight plan if a GPS unit feeds it one. It is only a
single axis roll mode, though.

Steve