Martin Spott wrote:

Oh, no - please !  :-))

It's not just about comm _frequencies_, it's not only about automated
ATC messages. I'm talking about the ability to transport sim pilot's
blather over the net.
I heavily object against running this as a separate application after
I've seen M$FS pilots running into heavy trouble while connecting
multiple add-on applications to their sim. Over the time we'll run into
version imcompatibilities and sort of that stuff. This is why I'd
prefer to have such an interface built into FlightGear.
IAXClient focuses on portability and I've already managed to build it
on AIX, IRIX, Solaris8, FreeBSD and Linux - with neglectible
programming skills  ;-)

The counter argument though is:

1. I'm adverse to adding another somewhat large dependency to FlightGear.

2. FlightGear and MSFS have entirely different interfacing mechanisms. People may have trouble with FlightGear, but I don't think that you can say that trouble with MSFS's external interface mechanism implies similar trouble with FlightGear's ... different trouble, maybe, but not similar trouble.

3. Using the property system minimizes version incompatibility problems since property names don't change all that often.

Perhaps I could propose that we start by developing this as a separate application and then if it works really well and there is a strong consensus, we could merge it in with the FlightGear code directly.

 It's very small and think it is worth being
incorporated into FlightGear:

quickstep: 18:00:28 ~/CVS/Asterisk/iaxclient> du -ks *
28      COPYING.LIB
16      CVS
12      README
3180    lib
1548    simpleclient

Only 4.5 Mb ... in terms of source code, I don't think I would could call that "small". I don't know what this would come out as when it's compressed, but it could easily double the size of the FlightGear source tarball.

Regards,