Steve Hosgood wrote:

The main fgfs website only lists scenery for 0.9.8

Is world scenery for 0.9.9 waiting for a stable, offical 0.9.9 release
first?

There is a current world scenery rebuild in progress. We are currently hung up on a data processing glitch that is being worked on. The scenery and the source release can and will happen independently. Rebuilding the world (and trying to fix bugs and improve the result at the same time) is a massive undertaking. The new world will be based on SRTM v2 data supplimented with USGS DEM data to fill in the voids where possible, i.e. in the usa. The grand canyon and rhode island will be much better. These places glitched out in SRTM and portions never got properly mapped. I also did a complete overhaul of the airport surface generation scheme and tossed the old nurbs approach because the nurbs++ code is not maintained and is increasingly difficult to compile on modern systems. We are now trying to process the shapefile conversion of the vmap data. If we can crack this, then that opens the doors to future user fixes and contributions of land cover/land use data, lakes, rivers, roads, etc.

I've been posting very brief notes and updates on the scenery rebuild to my personal web page (along with a variety of other stuff that probably isn't of great concern to most people in FlightGear land.)

   http://www.flightgear.org/~curt/