Paul Surgeon wrote:

There is 100% void free SRTM data here : http://srtm.csi.cgiar.org/

As best as I can see from their site, they just interpolated through the voids. That generally works fine and is pretty much what we did for the current scenery, but when you are missing big chunks of things like the grand canyon or tops of moutains, then what? For the USA where we have an alternative data source, I filled in the voids from that data which is good for things like the grand canyon and rhode island that are missing huge chunk. It might bite me elsewhere, but I hope not too much. Outside the USA our algorithm still just interpolates through the holes.

Regards,