Stefan Seifert wrote:

Why the need for an odd subtree then?
Normal end users use the released packages on the webpage (currently 0.9.9). Everyone else, including developers and bleeding edge people already check out from CVS.

One could branch the 1.0 tree in CVS and provide small fixes on that while development of big stuff goes on on CVS trunk, but that's no need for any change in version numbering. 1.0.x gets updated until trunk is stable enough to release 1.1 or so. Like Curt said, a flight simulator is not an essential system service where many other things build upon and need a stable base. Normally pretty everyone should want future updates as soon as they are stable enough for end users. Linux Kernel versioning has change a _lot_ since 2.6. There is not even a real development branch anymore.

I think as flightgear develops and matures, there argument for an even-stable/odd-devel release system will grow a lot stronger, but for the moment, development has been moving so quickly with so many new important features being added, that our attempts at a stable release have largely been ignored, simply because the devel releases ahead of it were so much better.

It is interesting to have this discussion though. At the start of this project, the big focus was to get anyone interested. I was very focused on generating enough forward progress to keep people from giving up and moving on to other stuff. At that point I felt like I largely carried the project on my back and if I would have dropped it, the whole thing would have quickly died.

That emerged into a period where we seemed to hit a critical mass. FlightGear still had a *long* way to go and many important features that were missing. But I felt that we had enough interest, enough developers, enough people committed to using it that the project was starting to take on a life of it's own.

Now as we look forward, we are talking less about a mad scramble to add basic features (although there are a few important things left to add) and more about stability and content (aircraft, scenery, etc.)

So this discussion of odd/even releases may be a bit premature at the moment, but it is something we should possibly consider again sometime after our 1.0 release.