Curtis L. Olson wrote:

Ralf Gerlich wrote:

Heh, I'd like to see you looking at the Autopilot _and_ out of the window in a real plane. ;-)

As was mentioned, the nearest you could come to the "flow" in the cockpit IRL - not looking at the instrument and still changing its setting - is probably using the keyboard...at least as far as I see that as a pure simulation pilot ;-)

You could have *perfect* flight dynamics that nailed all the numbers and all the nuances of the model exactly right, but if you are sitting at your desk, holding a $20 joystick in one hand and typing on your keyboard with another, while peering at a 17" monitor ... it's just not going to ever be all that realistic of an 'experience.'

One of the knocks from the May show ( which is totally my fault) was the cheezy joystick. So here we were with a full scale 747 glass cockpit with a large screen plasma OTW display running top of the line flight dynamics (JSBSim), world class scenery (FlightGear), high fidelity subsystem models (Mathworks), and a "noodle" for control.

If we had had a decent control system, we could have faked the rest ;-)

JW