Georg Vollnhals wrote:

> Hi Andras, hi Josh!
> if you fly with AP it is a pleasure zooming on an instrument in 3d
> cockpit and read it/make your inputs.
> This is bad if you fly *manually/by hand*, you can't control your
> aircraft as you would like to :-/.
> Therefore my wish for the *future* would be to click on an instrument,
> it pops up really big (maybe right down corner), you have your
> outside-view though. After you made your inputs you click again and it
> pops back to the panel.
> So many rather small instruments on a panel would be no problem - and
> also if you have some other panels you want to use - flight-ing, upper
> panel, side-panels -> no problem after my opinion.
>
> Regards
> Georg EDDW

I don't know, if you are properly trimmed, you should be able to take
your hand off the joystick for quite some time. I personally hold the
joystick with one hand and use the mouse with the other though. I only
let the plane fly uncontrolled in trim when I need both hands to type. I
can even trim the bo105 and fly hands off for several seconds.

Right now it would be possible to scale an instrument, or any object for
that matter, up and towards the viewpoint. The problem would be that
there is no way to scale or move clickable areas. The instrument would
have to use keystrokes, and a) keyboard real-estate in FG is already at
a premium and b) most people prefer that all instruments have clickable
zones, and leave the keystrokes to the really important stuff.

One other option would be to have a large clickable area on each
instrument that would launch a Nasal dialog for entering data. In
conjunction with having a "zoomed" version of the instrument's objects
that could apper via a select animation you could get pretty close to
what you want. You could also launch zoomed instruments and dialogs for
stuff that is normally off screen by binding to a Nasal script. That
script could in turn be bound to any kind of input function that a user
wants, and also have an entry in the default keyboard config.

I personally am happy with things the way they are. I enjoy looking
around the cockpit and the outside view as I fly. The only key bindings
I commonly use are for the parking brake and the gear.

Josh