Martin Spott wrote:
Tiago Gusmão wrote:

Anyway, my biggest problem right now is that it's eating 10fps in my GF4MX without actually drawing anything. Any tips for increasing performance in render-to-texture? If not, is this performance unacceptable?

I think you are actually facing the most obvious problem of the whole
idea here: By rendering into a texture you put load on the CPU for
doing a job that could be much better done by appropriate OpenGL
hardware. You could try to circumvent this problem by shifting the
render-to-texture job onto the graphics board, but such a solution
would come out to be _very_ hardware-specific, i.e.totally
non-portable.

Well, we now have a RenderTexture class in SimGear which should take the burden from the developer for making it portable. This class however doesn't support MacOS-X (yet, I contacted someone who has expressed the desire to do so) and the class may fall back to software emulation when no hardware rendering is available.

However, most modern and less modern hardware should be able to do it in hardware.

Erik

--
http://www.ehtw.info (Dutch)    Future of Enschede Airport Twente
http://www.ehofman.com/fgfs     FlightGear Flight Simulator