David Megginson wrote:

On 09/03/06, Curtis L. Olson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

3. Any other major issues?

The TerraGear scenery bug with the Great Lakes (and possibly other
large inland lakes?) is pretty serious -- it leaves many midwest U.S.
and central Canadian cities perched on giant cliffs overlooking the
lakes.

This must be an issue with the 'new' Shapefile version of the vmap0 database. Perhaps something did not get categorized properly in the conversion? I've seen some odd water areas in the v0.9.10 scenery in place they shouldn't be. I haven't had a chance to look into it though. But ultimately this will need to get fixed at the data level. Perhaps the great lakes got categorized as ocean? That would explain why terragear forced the altitude to zero. Lakes are left in place with perhaps a bit of leveling and smoothing. Another (less likely?) option is that the SRTMv2 data for those areas are zero elevation??? Maybe someone could do some poking around and at least narrow down where the problem lies. Lakes marked as oceans? or bad srtm data?

Curt.