> From: John Kluza
>
> Hi Curt,
> That cessna mini overlay is a good starting point.  I used it to build my own
> custom vertical transparent panel that serves the purpose well.  Right now I
> can only make it visible from views that an equivalent to the pilot's eye
> view from the cockpit.  It seems like the view shown on that picture is a
> cockpit view, however, maybe canted off downward a bit (which would also be
> interesting to know how to do - is there doc that talks about customizing the
> perspectives?).
>
> My real question though is can I make a panel visible from one of the other
> perspectives in which the observer views the aircraft from outside?  In this
> way, it would be like watching the uav fly around but seeing the instruments
> at the same time.
>
> Thanks a lot!
> John

That mini panel or something like it was my first contribution to flightgear
and was really the result of a screw up that looked cool.  By itself it won't
do exactly what you want.  The reasohn is that the aircraft model is hidden in
the pilot view when the 2D cockpit mode is used (i.e.  when 3D virtual cockpit
is turned off in the config).

Take a look at the c172 with the 3D cockpit (or any of the aircraft with a 2D
panel placed in a 3D cockpit).  You will find in the model configuration where
the panel position is set.  That position is relative to the aircraft and can
be placed anywhere in relation to the aircraft including outside.  Configured
offsets can be applied to the pilot eye point to move it anwhere in relation to
the aircraft.   The panel itself can be animated as a whole with rotations from
any angle applied (to make it appear fixed to the camera).

If you want the panel available for a fixed observer on the ground you can
probably do that with a combination of the scenery object placement technique
and something like the standard "tower look-at" view to set up your view (aka
camera, eye point).   Use a transparent (or not) model with a 2D panel mapped
to it just like the c172 aircraft.  Place it on the ground and use animations
to make it pan around with the view.

Best,

Jim

--