Martin Spott wrote:
Melchior FRANZ wrote:

There's a reason why hardly any graphics professional uses a flatscreen
for his work. Those people insist on CRTs. My CRT was quite cheap, and
doesn't seem to have a linear voltage/brightness curve, but colors are
OK.

Last year on the LinuxTag I met Harald Koenig again - formerly known as
"Mr. S3"  :-)
He was displaying a system for handling and employing colour management
profiles. Maybe we can elaborate a recommendation for how to calibrate
FlightGear users' screens. Currently I only know of such systems for
commercial operating systems (IRIX, MacOS, Windows, ....),

Getting the gamma correctly set is a good start. Something like this will help:

http://www.photoscientia.co.uk/Gamma.htm

If, like some of my monitors you can't actually get it calibrated properly, then it's probably time to get yourself a new monitor - it won't be doing your eyes any good (ancient monitors here are just relegated to server use).

Jon