> I see another issue here.  Even if the licensing issue is solved, there would
> still be problems.  For example, planes hovering/submerging on taxiways and
> runways, because both us and MSFS have different scenery.  To avoid this
> problem, we would have to force MSFS to use our better scenery.  Who's up for
> that task?

That's a current problem between MSFS and X-Plane as well, and I'm
told that it's a shortcoming of the VATSIM protocol, which doesn't
define the reference point to be used.

I personally don't see this as a problem as I don't normally care
about other planes other than when I want to avoid a collision, and a
little offset is irrelevant to that.

I agree with Ben that it will be very hard to build a community from
scratch, even if clients for a GPL network were available for MSFS
and/or X-Plane. We'd need a good training and evaluation scheme for
ATC as well, which takes a very long time to set up, and VATSIM
already has that.

As to my suggestion of linking FG and X-Plane to fly FG on VATSIM, I
haven't forgotten the project but haven't actually got a working
installation of X-Plane under Linux that would allow me to write a
plugin. I'll try and carry on with that once I have X-Plane running
again (actually, it's the OpenGL acceleration that currently isn't
working on my computer, thanks to ATI being a year behind Linux and
Xorg development).

As to IVAO, it appears to be a much smaller community that VATSIM, so
it's not even worth talking about in this context.

  Andras