On 6/13/06, Martin Spott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> "Tony Pelton" wrote:
>
> Read Curt's posting,

i did ... and i think i _do_ understand the basics of the issue ...

> he simply assumes that the ground elevation at a
> specific location differs between two sims. Different sims have their
> scenery created in different ways, probably even from different
> elevation data so I think Curt's assumption is very likely to be true,

well, it is possibly true that a given lat/lon might have a different
elevations between the two sims, because of at least two reasons 1)
different world models, and 2) different terrain rendering.

in either case though,  each sim will know its own AGL, based on its
own world and terrain, ... and i think AGL is unambigous ?

by sending a lat/lon/AGL to the other peers, it seems to me that it
can then be left up to each receiving client to place the rendition of
the remote aircraft at an AGL, in _its_ terrain/world model, at the
same AGL ?

and answering my own question, i know that x-plane _cant_ currently do
this, because currently, you cant query the simulation to find the
terrain height at a given lat/lon, you can only query the sim to find
out what your _own_ AGL is.

but this is probably solvable on the x-plane side by implementing some
code to query the terrain data installed, so that an interpretation of
what a remote AGL means in the local context.

not sure how this might work on the FG side, though i thought i saw
some code in the code base that made it appear like it is possible to
query height of terrain, assuming the tile is loaded ...

>         Martin.

Tony

--
X-SA user ? 0.5.1 is out !