On 10/11/06, Stuart Buchanan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

--- Holger Wirtz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to introduce some example code for what I personally miss in
> every
> actually flight simulator: realtime radio.

To come back to your idea. Personally I think it would be best implemented
as a separate app that communicates with FG rather than being part of FG
itself. FG has an open protocol system allowing you to easily export the
COM frequencies etc. to an external app. See

http://cvs.flightgear.org/cgi-bin/viewvc/viewvc.cgi/data/Protocol/README.Protocol?revision=1.3

for details. This would allow the VoIP client to be run on a separate
computer if required.

Just to jump in here with a "me too"  ... If you could take a standard VOIP system and rig it so you could only hear people on your frequency within some range, you would pretty much have everything you need.  FlightGear has all the I/O hooks you would need to query the tuned frequency.

It would be very interesting if we started to see servers popping up to handle specific airports/frequencies or matching frequency within a particular region of the globe.

Regards,

Curt.
--
Curtis Olson        http://baron.flightgear.org/~curt