awesome!

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Mathias Fröhlich
Sent: Tuesday, October 24, 2006 3:45 PM
To: FlightGear discussions
Subject: [Flightgear-devel] OpenSceneGraph

Hi,

I had worked now for some time on an OSG port of flightgear.

At the moment many things are already working.
- Scenery and 3d models are there.
- Animations work mostly as expected.
- The usual lights including the vasi are there.
- The 3d panel is displayed and interactive.
- The sky looks as usual - including stars and the 2d clouds.
- The HUD's.
- The usual menus.

What is missing so far are
- The shadows
- The 3d clouds
- The lightning and rain code
- The render surface instruments

On my notebook, where I do much of the development, I get improved frame rates
up to a factor of two. Depending on the model and daytime.
The rain stuff as well as the render surface stuff is nothing too complicated
and already available in osg, but that needs to be done and tested.
There is a replacement for our shadows in osg available. Also an improved
shadow toolkit is in the works by the osg guys - I believe we should make use
of that in the longer term.
The 3d clouds are something to think about. osg can assist here but I need to
think about that.

We will need some small updates to the current OSG version. That is:
An updated rgb loader that does not crash on some of our rgb files.
An updated ac3d loader - we will need that to get our models right.

Ok, long talk - what to do?

I would like to check that into our cvs.
The usual way would be to create a cvs branch and do that work on that branch.
In this case it would be good if we could avoid changes in the HEAD branch
that touches anything visible.
In some private mails with Curt he directed me to an other scheme:
Create a branch for the old plib/ssg code and do the osg stuff on HEAD.
In this case we would have the plib/ssg stuff still available in that branch
for those of us who need the well tested old stuff. We could safe some final
merging if we do it in this way.
Thougths/Comments - where should I check in?

Well, two screenshots of that are at
ftp://ftp.uni-duisburg.de/FlightGear/Misc_maf/OpenSceneGraph-20061024

     Greetings

            Mathias