Vassilii,

On Thursday 26 October 2006 12:35, Vassilii Khachaturov wrote:
> > The 3d clouds are something to think about. osg can assist here but I
> > need to think about that.
>
> I'll be happy to try to help to port/switch these. Of the above, I don't
>   quite find my way around the 3d clouds code, so I'll be starting with
> the rain/lightnings when the check-in is done; meanwhile I'll read about
> the OSG - never been into anything except overviews there. BTW, current
> rain (as opposed to lightning) is not branching the scene graph via
> plib, but rather directly drawing stuff through GL primitives; I
> wouldn't be surprise it it works as is (with the same ugly artifacts...)
> I'll try to properly port it to OSG. I'm especially happy about the OSG
> transition as I have some multitexturing-based rain prototype in the
> works, and I was unhappy about further direct GL ugly hacking needed
> because of that, as plib has no m/t support. AFAIU, OSG does have it, so
> it's really great news.
Well we should avoid direct OpenGL calls like the sgEnvironment currently
does.
There is already preciptation code available in osg. So may be we have correct
rain really fast. The lighting cannot be that hard ...

Great to hear that I have helping hands!!!
For the direct OpenGL calls:
I plan to use Producer on the longer term. Using that we can easily build high
performance multi view installs with a multicore machine. That is there is
builtin support for multithreading in Producer. But that requires having
everything that is rendered in the scenegraph.
There is a great article about producer and the multi view technology on the
osg page. I just do not find it today morning.
I hope to put together some documentation and some links how to write code for
osg.

> Since for the porting I'll have to use both branches, I'll be using both
> of them wherever you put the OSG stuff. Personally, I agree that the
> HEAD is the way to go.
Ok.

    Greetings

              Mathias