On 01/02/2007 12:09 AM, Ron Jensen wrote:

> I find including more libraries in some of
> the Makefile.am's does the trick for me...  I'm attaching a diff of my
> debian-etch build tree against today's CVS.

Thanks for the patches.  They applied cleanly to the bleeding edge package
but utterly failed to apply to the 0.9.10 release.

>  What problems do you have?

1a) Well, right now the leading compilation error from the bleeding edge is:
../../src/Navaids/navrecord.hxx:192: error: 'fromGeod' is not a member of
'SGVec3d'

For details see
  http://www.av8n.com/fly/fgfs/configure.logg
  http://www.av8n.com/fly/fgfs/make.logg

1b) Right now the 0.9.10 release won't ld because of SG-related issues;  for
details
see
  http://www.av8n.com/fly/fgfs/configure-0.9.10.logg
  http://www.av8n.com/fly/fgfs/make-0.9.10.logg

Bottom line:  As previously reported, the package won't build.  (I can
get tiny pieces of it to build, such as js_demo and fgjs ... bug fgjs
doesn't work properly even then.)

Note that Debian etch is not a kooky release.  It has been frozen for a
while now.  It has better support for graphics than previous releases.
That means there are multiple reasons why the people who are likely to
be compiling FlightGear are also likely to be running etch.  Therefore
it seems like getting it to compile would be a worthwhile endeavor.

In the meantime, it would be nice if the situation were documented
somewhere, perhaps in a list of known bugs or a list of non-supported
systems.

Also ............

2) Earlier, I didn't have openAL-dev installed.  I am aware that the
openAL requirement is mentioned at
  http://www.flightgear.org/Downloads/source.shtml
but it is not mentioned AFAICT in the README or INSTALL files that I
downloaded.  So users could easily overlook this.

3) But even with openAL in place, it didn't compile, due to osg issues.

Suggestion 1:  It would be nice if all the requirements were listed *in*
the downloaded package.  For example, consider the case where somebody
downloaded the package yesterday and doesn't have web access today.

Suggestion 2:  it would be nice if the  configure  script enforced all
the relevant requirements.  This would be more user-friendly in the sense
that it could put out a more informative error message.

===============================

> I have the latest CVS (OSG not PLIB) for Simgear and FlightGear and a
> patched version of the release OSG as debian packages if you're
> interested.  Simgear and FlightGear together are about 4 MBytes, OSG is
> 32 MBytes.

Uhhh, what has OSG got to do with it?  I don't see an OSG requirement
mentioned anywhere in the documentation.

Do I need OSG on top of plib?  Or OSG instead of plib?  Is this optional,
or is it a new requirement?

Suggestion (again):  Whatever the actual requirements are, they should be
documented, and they should be enforced by the  configure  script.

Debian etch offers an  libopenscenegraph-dev  package;  that's easy enough
to install.  But naive users would have a hard time guessing that it's needed.