Hi,

Joacim Persson wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Jan 2007, woodyst wrote:
>
>> For the moment using trim for autopilot makes the fly more acurate because
>> it does not interfere with input devices.
>
> ...kap140 controlling the aircraft via trim is not accurate regarding how the
> kap140 works. :P  But you do point out a problem there: input device vs AP
> interference.  How about disabling joystick inputs altogether when the AP
> is in control?

I haven't flown any a/c with AP myself in reality, but as has been said
the AP moves the yoke, so that the pilot can add input over the AP.

Disabling joystick inputs alltogether should not be an option, except -
perhaps - if you only disable a single axis. Assume that your AP is in
ALT hold mode and you want to do turns.

Using trim for the AP is possibly an intermediate solution, but I know
that in JSBSim and in YASim you can define control sums, i.e., add
different inputs together to make the input given to the FDM. If people
have a problem with the AP modifying trim, we could as well give the AP
its own input channel for each axis it should control. This input
channel would neither be trim nor would it block user input on the joystick.

OTOH if we're not that much after exact internal modelling, we might as
well use the trim channel ;-)

Cheers,
Ralf