On Sun, 2007-02-11 at 00:22 -0500, John Denker wrote:
> Both the Weather Conditions popup and the atis.cxx code rely
> on the "pressure-sea-level-inhg" property and use it in ways
> that the altimeter setting should be used.
>
> This is at least a misnomer, and probably a misconception.
> The altimeter setting is not the same thing as the sea-level
> pressure. The altimeter setting is something else; it is
> properly called the altimeter setting.

John,

The altimeter setting in the Kollsman window adjusts the displayed
altitude that the AC is from that standard pressure level.  Quoting from
the asa Pilot's Manual #3:

        "If you want to measure the altitude of the airplane above the
        30.10 in. Hg pressure level, then you set 30.10 in the pressure
        window.  If 30.10 in. Hg happens to be the current MSL
        barometric pressure, then the altimeter will indicate the
        altitude of the airplane above MSL."

So the altimeter setting is the same thing as the mean-sea-level
barometric pressure.

That said, there may still be bugs.  I noticed in working through the
details of altAlert in kap140.nas that once the altimeter setting
deviates far from 29.92 in. Hg that the the target altitude differs from
the altimeter display even when the baro setting and the altimeter
setting agree.

Have you looked for bugs?

Regards,
Dave