* Curtis Olson -- Monday 19 February 2007:
> My intent here isn't to try to contest each and every point, but let me
> continue on with the discussion.

And it wasn't the least intent to have yet another argument. In the
end, it would probably just mean more work for me, so leaving the
hacks in the code (and they are hacks) is a viable (temporary) option.

> 1. The code for the "telnet" interface that you are referring to, is simply
> an interface to commands that are registered elsewhere.  So really, this
> isn't the right place to document available commands, this is just an
> interface to all the available commands.

Well, I don't like secret features that can only be used by one
"customer", and are of no use for the majority of users. That
doesn't mean that I would like to see the extra commands in "help",
because this is exactly the clutter that doesn't belong there. (Like
the functions in the first place.) But then again, properties would
have to be documented, too, so this isn't really my best argument.

> 2. These commands are not actually limited to the telnet interface;

How do I call them from the http interface? OK, there are functions
that can be called from Nasal and GUI XML. Those are already hacks,
if you ask me. Why does there need to be an fgcommand "timeofday"?
What's wrong with  "set /sim/time/timeofday noon".  Is the property
system not good enough for some types of information? And why exactly?
There are no technical reasons, really.

> There are some commands like "do_screen_capture()" that don't require
> any arguments, but commands like "play_audio_message()" need to know which
> file name to play.

Huh? What's wrong with "set /sim/audio/play /usr/local/share/sounds/foo.wav".
And  "set /sim/screenshot 1"?

> This "cluttered" code is here because of the way the fg_command() structure
> is setup and the way fg_commands need their arguments cast into a property
> sub-tree.

fgcommands predate the property system, AFAIK. They were necessary before,
and now they are overused, because people don't understand how to use
the property system. Some of the commands are nice, of course. But most
are superfluous, especially those that are added these days.

OK, and now I shut up, because I don't care that much. I just fell over
that stuff when I looked if --props can really be abandoned.

m.   :-)