Melchior FRANZ wrote:
> * Stewart Andreason -- Saturday 10 March 2007:
>
>> When I added shadows to the 3 craft I have, I found it nicer to
>> have the shadow shrink as altitude increases.
>>

> Err ... but they don't in real life. They just *look* smaller
> when they are farther away, just like in FlightGear already.
> (Theoretically, they should even get bigger, but you'd need
> to be at a very high altitude -- let's say a few million km.  :-)

Hmm, technically, either one of you guys can be right, depending on
which shadow you look at. :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penumbra

Since the sun is not a point light source, the dark core of the shadow,
the umbra will get smaller, but the half illuminated edge, the penumbra
will get larger.

Cheers,
Durk