Hi,

On Friday 11 May 2007, Martin Spott wrote:
> "Vivian Meazza" wrote:
> > Well, as the Irish would say, if you want to get there, you don't want to
> > start here. Good luck. And if you want to see how much work would be
> > involved, compare that task with the cutover to osg - now 6 months old
> > and nowhere near completion.
>
> Indeed, implementing the structure that James has in mind will
> certainly take a long time and require much work. Yet, this comparison
> with the move to OSG - heh, you really like banging on that one  :-)  -
> doesn't really match because the move to OSG was delayed by reasons
> that reside outside the FlightGear project,

Ok, there is a simpler and almost done version of that.
Sure, it would be good to have the IG's seperated from the physics engine. But
that is a relatively huge task. At least what that proposal shows. Not sure
if all of that is good ...

But what is very near is that we can do the phsyics in parallel with the cull
and draw stage on a different cpu. That will utilize multi core machines in
this current generation very well. Also osg allows us to feed multiple views
from within one single application where each view runs its cull and draw on
its own cpu. Osg provides much more here, but for the first cut this
describes it well enough.

Given that in the near future only the update step does communication between
the physics part and the IG part we have many places where the physics
pipeline stage feeds the IG pipeline stage identified, I can see a good
chance to do that update step with data feed over a network interface.

I can see an incremental way do go somewhere there ...

      Greetings

              Mathias