On 6/14/07, Ampere K. Hardraade wrote:

On Thursday 14 June 2007 10:29, Reagan Thomas wrote:
> The method I used was to bring the message to the fraudster's target
> audience by offering the same product on ebay using the same keywords,
> but making it very clear in the body of the auction [1] the true nature
> of the product (and where one can get it for free) and [2] the true
> nature of the fraudulent auctions.  I think the scenery DVDs that are
> available at the FlightGear web site might be a good product to pitch in
> this case. I found this method to work, but with a serious drawback: it
> takes a longterm commitment by the person(s) hawking the "official"
> auctions to remain effective. Perhaps just one official auction per
> month would suffice.

I think that's a good idea.  In addition to making these fraudsters' life
difficult, it would also open another revenue for much needed "fundings".

This thought has occured to me in the past, but I decide I just didn't have
the available time to commit to the process.  If one of us "good guys"
wanted to see if they could make a few extra bucks on ebay protecting our
good name and protecting the unwarry ebay customers out there, I would have
absolutely no problem with it.

I'm thinking of phrases like, "unlike our competors, we are selling the
actual physical media, not a pointer to a free download."  "Unlike our
competors, we aren't renaming the product to confuse or trick or prey on
potential ebay buyers."

If someone does this, you could likely pick up some pocket change ... might
be worth doing ... if it was me doing it, I'd pretty much snag all his ad
text and pictures and post it verbatim, but with the correct name for our
software, etc.  But maybe that would be considered illegal ad copying? :-)

Curt.
--
Curtis Olson - University of Minnesota - FlightGear Project
http://baron.flightgear.org/~curt/  http://www.humanfirst.umn.edu/