On 6/15/07, Jonathan Wagner wrote:

Just a thought for the rest of the list.  Now that OpenSceneGraph-2.0
has been released, what are the thoughts on setting that as a "fixed"
dependency for now (i.e., future development should work on
OpenSceneGraph-2.0).  With one of the latest patches to the plib branch
in CVS, FlightGear still compiles with plib-1.8.4 which is included in
many Linux distributions.  I have a feeling that OSG 2 will soon be the
version of OSG available in many Linux distributions.  Having OSG
support just _work_ would allow developers to focus on FlightGear
without also having to keep up with the latest daily developments in OSG.

I think this is an excellent suggestions, and to do otherwise will be to
invite a *lot* of support headaches on ourselves when we finally do a
release based on OSG.  If the average user has OSG-2.0 (or the most recent
release at the time) and we depend on features in CVS, we will make it very
difficult for non-developers to get flightgear up and running on their
systems.

Our approach with plib is that if we absolutely must depend on something in
cvs, we push the plib folks hard to get that into an official release first,
then we cut over and allow our code to depend on it.  This is not without
headaches, but it's worked pretty well for us in the past.

Regards,

Curt.
--
Curtis Olson - University of Minnesota - FlightGear Project
http://baron.flightgear.org/~curt/  http://www.humanfirst.umn.edu/