> Message: 8
> Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 17:12:49 +0200
> From: Ralf Gerlich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: [Flightgear-devel] How to apply different texturing to
>       the     terrain mesh?
> To: FlightGear developers discussions
>       <flightgear-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>
>
> Hello Sebastian!
>
> Sebastian Bechtold wrote:
>
>> > [...] but my plan would, for example, make it possible
>> > to render markings onto them, or draw softly rounded curves.
>>

> I'm specifically interested in the "markings" part (although I'm also
> curious at how you want to implement softly rounded curves without
> breaking the current concept of texture display).

I -want- to break the current concept of texture display. I don't want
to break anything else, but I definitely want to break this. It's all
about breaking this ;).

I want to use large patches of texture which are applied to the ground
mesh, completely ignoring the materials of the triangles. All I need
is to place them correctly, so that a road which is drawn onto
a texture file which represents a certain area in the world apperes
at the correct place in the simulator.

> This might require information which is currently not in the scenery
> files, such as the actual position of the centerline and width of the
> linear features. The triangles don't represent this information anymore,
> however it is available from the scenery sources (e.g. the scenery
> database). In general, making this information available in a suitable
> format shouldn't be a technical problem (maybe one of available manpower
> for implementing the stuff required, but that only means that it may
> take longer).

Exactly this is the idea. I have already talked with Martin about this
off-list. The plan would be to include the raw (meaning not
compiled/digested
into the .btg files) vector data into a scenery file and auto-generate
the textures using this data. Then you could achieve things like
road markings and smooth curves with some more or less simple
2D graphics programming. But however - first, I have to realise this
texture mapping stuff. Without that, all further thoughts about how
to generate the textures are useless.
> Another possibility - at least for simple roads - would be to add a
> centerline to the road texture and make TerraGear create an appropriate
> texture mapping similar to how it is done currently in genapts for the
> taxiways. Unfortunately, the part of TerraGear which creates the texture
> coordinates does not know anymore that the polygon it is currently
> operating on originally was a linear feature (blown up according to its
> width to a polygon). So this approach might require some reorganisation
> of the TerraGear architecture. Given that the current architecture is
> quite complex (mainly due to the fact that the task at hand is complex)
>  I don't think this is feasible without risking to break anything to a
> larger extent.

That's one reason why I don't want to touch terragear. The second is
that I would like to make it possible to modify the ground textures
without having to regenerate the scenery.
> When we're discussing about runtime creation of textures we might also
> get into discussing blending of ground textures. In that case, we should
> keep in mind that in reality not all types of landcovers actually blend
> into each other.
>
> When flying overhead forest areas - especially dense forest - these
> typically do not blend with surrounding agricultural or greenland areas,
> at least not in "civilised" areas where man tends to create sharp
> corners by land usage. That's actually not related to this specific
> discussion, but I wanted to note that before I forget.

Yeah, I know. But well, that's more an artistic question, not so much a
technical one. And as said by you (and also by me above), it's not
related to this
first step of the plan. But anyway, you are surely right. I have quite a
number
of thoughts about how to create realistic looking "pseudo aerial
photographs".
If I should ever be successful with step 1, I'll come back to you with
these.

Cheers,

Sebastian