Hi!

Harald JOHNSEN wrote:
> The point 1) will give worse ground texture than today if we set the
> texture size at 4090^2.

Not necessarily. Currently we have the same basic texture resolution
everywhere. With the approach Sebastian wants to try one could use tiles
of different sizes depending on the distance from the viewer. Which may
or may not be a good thing but we won't know until somebody tries.

> The point 2) is better except that this 100 pixel border is arbitrary.
> Sometimes it will be ok but i'm afraid there is some triangles that will
> go very far inside adjacent texture (some sea triangles inside the bay
> are very long for example).

There won't be triangles oriented along the bay. If I understood Stefan
right, there will be a regular triangle grid depicting the elevation
structure and the borders between different regions will be depicted by
a change in the master texture.

> But if the the real problem is those anoying triangle why not simply
> delete them ? Frankly we don't care about the geometry in the btg file,
> we just need a height field, let just built this grid and voila (this is
> for the display, the btg is still used for agl computation,
> intersection, etc or not because finding a height in a grid is instant,
> no more sequential scan of a soup of triangles).

Exactly.

The question that comes to mind is whether OpenSceneGraph does not
already have support for such a thing. The applications of OSG I have
seen seem all to use this concept so maybe it is reasonable to believe
s.th. like that has been included in OSG? Mathias?

As I said I'm skeptical about the outcome, but I would say it's worth a
try. Sebastian seems to be committed, so why not?

Cheers,
Ralf