Harald JOHNSEN wrote:
> Vivian Meazza wrote:
>
>> John Wojnaroski

>>> I've yet to see a system that IMHO tops what Mark Harris did
>>> a few years
>>> ago part of his doctoral thesis.
>>>
>>> See http://www.lfstech.com/img/sfo_clouds.jpg.
>>>
>>> Someone made a decision a few years ago to replace rather
>>> than improve.
>>> Think we all lost a very promising
>>> implementation, but there might be an opportunity to recover
>>> what was lost.
>>>
>>> Stay tuned...
>>>
>>> John
>>>

> There are methods today to do real volumetric display with slices from a
> 3d volume, so yes there is method to draw clouds a lot better than those.
> The old implementation of the Harris code in fg was using hard coded
> cloud shape, hard coded cloud relative position between clouds, hard
> coded group of cloud around ksfo. The next implementation could do
> clouds everywhere on the planet, parametrable cloud shapes in an xml
> file (Harris was using a non editable binary format), parametrable cloud
> formation type.
> Wasn't that some kind of improvement ? What could have been improved
> then is some new texture for the cloud particles or new shapes or
> whatever, frankly anybody could enhance what I did.
> Hm wait, you did not realize that Harris clouds are *slow* and ppl on
> this list were using depreciated hardware...
> Using his method to render the clouds is very easy to integrate in our code.
For what it's worth, I recently ported Harris' old SkyWorks code, on which his
contribution to FlightGear was based, to Linux for some playing around. I'll
make
that code available soon, but I have to agree with Harald's critique of the old
code. In particular, the key illumination step for a particular cloud is *very*
expensive -- in the SkyWorks code it repeatedly reads back color values from the
frame buffer for each particle in a cloud -- which is why particular clouds were
hard-coded. Harris has since described algorithms that are more dynamic and
which
require heavy-duty GPU firepower, something that always seems to be sensitive
topic
here.

A free cloud library based on Harris' work, integratable with other OSG
applications,
would attract a large following and would be a very cool thing. In the mean
time,
in order to learn some of the issues, it would be very good to port Harald's
plib-based
work into OSG FlightGear.

Tim