Hi all,

On Tue, Sep 04, 2007 at 11:07:02AM +0200, AnMaster wrote:

> Someone should contact them and ask them for ways to integrate google earth
> into flightgear.

I spoke to Alex Perry from Google at LinuxTag2007 in Berlin. I asked him
how FlightGera can use GoogleMaps as scenery.

The problem behind is the licensing. They cannot give away the data
without restrictions or something like a deal. Here is the last email
from Alex:

--- cut here ---
   I enjoyed chatting to you at LinuxTag.  Let me know if you come up
with
a viable model whereby an open source project such as TerraGear could
reasonably collaborate with a for-profit corporation such as Google.
Bear
in mind that there are other similar open source projects out there, as
well
as other companies with licensed data.  Unlike TerraGear, some of the
other
open source projects are also legally not-for-profit entities and this
may
assist you in proposing collaboration opportunities.
--- cut here ---

But perhaps someone on the list has an idea how to work together with
Google?

Regards, Holger

> I tested the google earth flightsim yesterday, the scenery looks very nice in
> some places but is very bad in others (like around my local airport, ESOE).
> Also many runways are extremely uneven, much more than realistic. The aircraft
> doesn't handle very realistically either.
>
> /AnMaster
>
> Erik Hofman wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > It looks like google provides a simple flight simulator with googlemaps:
> > http://marco-za.blogspot.com/2007/08/google-earth-flight-simulator.html
> >
> > Looking at the screenshots it does remind me of an early version of
> > FlightGear (which might or might not be true), but most of the key
> > strokes match flightgear dead on:
> >
> > http://earth.google.com/intl/en/userguide/v4/flightsim/index.html
> >
> > This makes one wonder..
> >
> > Erik

#####  #### ##  ##   Holger Wirtz         Phone : (+49 30) 884299-40
##  ## ##   ### ##   DFN-Verein           Fax   : (+49 30) 884299-70
##  ## #### ######   Stresemannstr. 78    E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
##  ## ##   ## ###   10963 Berlin
#####  ##   ##  ##   GERMANY              WWW   : http://www.dfn.de
GPG-Fingerprint: ABFA 1F51 DD8D 503C 85DC  0C51 E961 79E2 6685 9BCF