Hans Fugal wrote:
> I could be wrong, but I think you missed his point. I don't think he
> was arguing that you couldn't cast a const char* to a char*. The
> argument was that without the cast it doesn't work, and the cast is
> bad form and leads to bugs.

A point, you will note, I never disagreed with.  Nonetheless we use
plib.  And plib's code has "bad form" and even the occasional bug.
Since we use it, we need to build it.  It was remarked at the top of
this thread that plib 1.8.4 required a patch to build.  I noted first
that the patch seemed unnecessary (and only later noticed it was
wrong), and suggested that the problem (in plib's code, not ours)
could be fixed via adjustment of the warning level of the compiler
instead.

At which point all you guys in the peanut gallery jumped on me about
"bad form" and I started swinging back.

> I think it's a reasonable argument, not one that needs derision.

It is not a reasonable argument in this context, as it involves
source code we don't control.  And I'd argue the derision started in
John's message, for what it's worth, but I suppose that's an issue of
taste.

The goal here, I will point out yet again, isn't to decide how best to
develop plib, but to decide how best to get it built
under windows for a FlightGear release.  I'd argue that
building our released version against an inconsistent library
dependency constitutes significantly *worse* form than tolerating some
const-incorrectness that has already been vetted out on other
platforms.

Andy