I sense there is a small feud going on here, and perhaps the public lists
are not the best place to play that out.

We've always encouraged people to work together if they have an interest in
building the same aircraft as someone else.  It just makes sense that 2 or
more people can pool their efforts to build something better than a single
person can do on their own.

But that's not a fixed requirement.  If someone wants to make their own
version of an airplane that already exists, there's no policy against that.

FlightGear should be a place of freedom to work on whatever you want in
whatever way you want.  Our licensing terms ensure that folks can share
their work and learn and benefit from each other.  So if we make our best
attempts to coordinate our efforts and work together, we can accomplish far
more than we can individually.

Not everyone is going to get along perfectly all the time, that's a natural
thing between human beings.  But in a professional environment such as ours,
we can at least strive to be cordial and express our disagreements and
differences in a level headed manner.  It really doesn't help the project
when someone gets bent out of shape about something.  95% of the time it's a
simple misunderstanding or miscommunication anyway.

Regards,

Curt.

On 9/18/07, gh.robin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello, everybody,
>
> On the French Forum i have had a talk with Emmanuel Baranger, which makes
> me
> to ask for some explanations.
>
> I was talking about a usual past policy (as far i remember) within the
> FlightGear community which avoid to have several identical Aircraft.
> I mean, to avoid that the same original real Aircraft would be modeled by
> various  FG models developers each one making and committing the models.
>
> The answer from Emmanuel Baranger, (he has the cvs access) , is:
>
> ""On FS there is tens of versions of the same Aircraft which are made by
> various Authors and this does not shock anybody.
> But you, this should not shock anybody within the FlightGear community.
> You have a way of closed mind thinking, which does not allow any
> progress""
>
> Since i remember that topics was discussed before here, i wonder if the
> policy
> has changed, or may be, i am wrong there was never any policy, and
> anything
> can be done.
>
> Cheers
>

> BTW: Here is the French original answer of Emmanuel Baranger to me:
>
> Sur FS il existe des dizaines de versions d'un même appareil réalisé par
> différents auteurs et cela ne choque personne. A part toi cela ne devrait
> choquer personne sur FlightGear. C'est vraiment une façon de penser
> totalement hermétique et qui ne permet aucune avancés.
>

> --
> Gérard

Curtis Olson - University of Minnesota - FlightGear Project
http://baron.flightgear.org/~curt/  http://www.humanfirst.umn.edu/
http://www.flightgear.org
Unique text: 2f585eeea02e2c79d7b1d8c4963bae2d