David Megginson wrote:
> Switches are hard to find, especially (a) if you're not a real pilot,
> or (b) if you're not familiar with the aircraft.  A single key to turn
> on all the lights can be very useful for a new user, or even for an
> experienced user who just wants to fly at night and doesn't know the
> aircraft or doesn't want to pan around the panel.

<snip>
> So, in summary, I think a single switch to turn on all required
> interior and exterior lights for night flying can be a big win for
> FlightGear.

Hi Dave,

I just looked at the changes in cvs.  There is a significant problem
with at least this implementation of one "key" to turn on all the lights
for all AC.  There is no standard followed for how to implement nasal
electrical systems.  The patches you made to cvs will accomplish your
stated goal for the pa24 and pa28, but not for the SenecaII or the
dhc2.  This is because when I wrote electrical.nas for the pa28, I
started from the eleictrical.nas for the pa24.  Some of the nasal
electrical systems bypass switches all together and toggle properties
such as /electrical/landinglights.  Others include functional circuit
breakers that would need to be verified.

A second observation is that I virtually never turn on the white cabin
light or the map light because I don't want to ruin my night vision.  So
even for the pa24, I would not want to have all the light on for most
flights.

For both the pa24 and the pa28, the keys assigned to toggle the switches
are in the same order on the keyboard as in the AC.  This was to make it
easier to quickly turn on or off the switches you want w/o moving the
mouse or view.  Also, the  "Help > Aircraft Help" menu for the pa24 or
pa28 gives complete switch info and starting procedure.  What frustrates
me with some AC is that I am left in the cockpit with no hot spots and
also no help to allow me to find the magneto switch(es) or fuel valve.
My vote would be to require either (1) hot start with engine running and
all "normal" things turned on, or (2) a clearly written "Help > Aircraft
Help" that gets you started with what you need to be ready to take-off.

Regards,
Dave Perry