I haven't thought much about the whole matter, but here are
some of my thoughts anyway.  :-)

(1) A complete reorganization shouldn't be done before the
    0.9.11 release, but I don't assume that anyone aimed for
    that.

(2) I'd say that we want to keep the power of XML defined
    bindings (with embedded Nasal where appropriate.) But
    one could think about not having those automatically
    triggered, but read them into a map, and let the
    keys trigger such bindings by name. That way one could
    assign bindings in a dialog. (Personally, I don't like
    this type of configuration at all. It's not nearly
    as flexible as editing the XML file, and one doesn't
    configure the keyboard often, especially if the
    defaults are sane. This is just a lot of bloat and
    complexity for a feature that isn't needed at runtime
    at all.)

(3) I find parts of John's idea nice, but the examples in
    the referenced file are much too complex for my taste.
    Also, I wouldn't like a "language" parser for it done
    in c++. We did a lot of work to get rid of all hardcoded
    stuff, and this would be a step backwards. Nasal is
    fast and powerful enough for this.

    I could imagine to allow setting frequencies and some
    other data in this manner. I've today added an interface
    for key events, so that we can play with the idea. Here
    is a simple demo:

       http://members.aon.at/mfranz/devel.nas  [558 B]

    It monitors all key events, passes everything until
    it sees a tilde ~, at which point it grabs all further
    keys, assembles them and displays them in a popup, and on
    <return> prints the string to the console and resumes
    normal mode.

m.